Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My dining room has been hijacked!!!


My husband has finally taken the dive into a hobby! How exciting!!!
I would like to take a little credit for influencing him by having my own 3 hundred hobbies, it has finally paid off.

My husband and I bought a dollhouse kit back in 1988, on a trip to Traverse City, Michigan (awesome city)we went into a hobby shop and saw this and the girls where enthralled by the made up dollhouses. We bought it, it wasn't cheap for us back then, but our intentions where honorable, we wanted to make this dollhouse for our little girls.
Our children were very young, so the kit got put into our basement for storage until just the right time. We didn't have money for the furnishings, we were spending money on our own home a 100 year old farmhouse, and with three girls and a new baby boy, money for a dollhouse seemed pretty frivolous.
Many times it was moved, even considered for the burning barrel. I proceeded to raise children, got an education in photography, started a business and that dollhouse was pretty much forgotten.

Although the dollhouse hobby is pretty expensive (if you let it be), we are going to do everything ourselves, we are going to try and make all the furnishings or carefully shop for minatures buying only great deals over the internet, we may even take a shopping trip to some hobby stores to check out furniture. We won't be putting 200 dollar chairs made of cherry and velvet in this house.
I'm excited to see my husband's hobby evolve, how he chooses to do each room and watch him actually design and decide on decor. I have told him I want HIM to decide everything, because I would totally take it over and do it my way, and I have been doing that with our house for 30 years, I can let him do this...I think I can......well...I'm going to try......

No comments:

Post a Comment